During his time at Aetha, Joe has gained a broad knowledge of spectrum topics, working with both regulators and operators in projects on spectrum valuation and auction format analysis, as well as a number of other regulatory topics.
Joe specialises in modelling, benchmarking and data analysis, as well as having a strong understanding of the mobile business. He has gained experience in valuing spectrum for various services, including cellular, broadcast, fixed and fixed satellite services, through both Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) modelling and benchmark analysis methods, as well as identifying suitable auction formats for various markets / legal frameworks. He is also experienced in assisting mobile operators in War Rooms, both in terms of tool design and providing in-person support during the auction process.
Joe has an Masters of Engineering from Imperial College London.
Examples of projects which illustrate the breadth of Joe's experience include:
- Development of spectrum valuation model, mock auction system, bid support tools, auction logistics, support in development of regulatory consultation responses and provided war room support for a forthcoming multi-band auction
- Developed model to study the economic benefits of making the 2.7–2.9GHz band available for mobile services in Australia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Colombia, Egypt, Kenya, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia
- Undertook a valuation exercise on an operator’s 2.5GHz spectrum in support of an asset backed securitisation to raise USD7bn of bond financing
- Due diligence of operator’s forecast revenues, capital expenditure, operating expenses and assessment of network capacity in support of a debt financing transaction
- Produced commercial due diligence reports on the acquisition of tower portfolios in both Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Also developed geo-analysis model that was used to forecast tenancy ratios on said portfolios, as a result of future market demand for additional points of service
- International benchmarking of fees for broadcast, fixed and fixed satellite service spectrum and development of recommendations for changes to existing fees formula and parameters for a southeast Asian regulator
- Development of a regulatory framework for the assignment of cherished numbers for a southeast Asian regulator
- International benchmarking of fees for cellular spectrum and development of recommendations for changes to existing fees formula and parameters
- Created detailed business plan to develop rollout strategy, identify deployment sites and forecast cashflows in order to raise grant funding from various sources for a rural power supplier startup in Africa