Since joining Aetha, Matthew has gained experience across a wide range of topics in the telecoms industry. In particular, he has managed the development of detailed valuation models used to prepare for both M&A transactions and multi-band spectrum auctions.
Matthew has a background in data analysis and modelling, as well as a strong understanding of the mobile business. In addition to his work on valuation models, he has also developed a number of electronic auction systems for bidders preparing for auctions and has worked on the business cases for next-generation broadband deployments, assessing the most cost-efficient deployment mix of fixed and mobile broadband infrastructure. Matthew's modelling expertise saw him qualify for the finals of the 2016 and 2018 Financial Modeling World Championships.
Matthew has an M.Phil in Technology Policy from the University of Cambridge, as well as a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Engineering from Sydney University.
Examples of projects which illustrate the breadth of Matthew's experience include:
- Development of a valuation model for a global mobile operator to consider the value of merging with the acquisition target, including consideration of the target's tower base and potential synergies
- Assessment of the value of a Vimplecom assets across Europe, Asia and Africa ahead of a potential divestment by a major shareholder
- Analysis of the costs of providing Digital-Agenda compliant high speed broadband using wireline and wireless technologies
- Spectrum valuation for an operator in the lead up to the 2.6GHz spectrum auction in Taiwan
- Spectrum valuation, auction bid strategy and on-site tactical support for the Australian 700MHz and 2.6GHz auction for Telstra
- Support to the Belgian regulator with an assessment of the economic benefits of using the 790-862MHz band for mobile broadband and digital terrestrial television services
- Development of electronic auction software and bid tracking tools used by operators ahead of (multi-band) auctions in Greece, Ireland, Poland and Romania
- Development of the financial calculation engine for a business forecasting tool sold to SMEs and accountants throughout Australia
- Analysis of customer behaviour and profitability for an Australian MVNO, leading to the design of new user plans