With over 20 years of telecoms industry and consulting experience, Andrew works on projects of major strategic importance, focusing principally on the strategic and regulatory issues faced by mobile operators. Formerly the Managing Director of Analysys Consulting, Andrew brings a wealth of management experience to Aetha's senior team.
Andrew's work for operators, regulators and the financial community has included spectrum valuation, spectrum auction support, network sharing, support in transactions, expert witness testimony and valuations for international arbitration. In addition, Andrew has undertaken advisory work on topics including spectrum licensing, interconnection and other areas of telecoms regulation. Most recently, Andrew has advised regulators in Europe, Asia and the Middle East on the key spectrum policy issues of digital switchover, digital dividend and the updating of spectrum licensing regimes to allow for liberalised use of spectrum and the introduction of market mechanisms, such as auctions and spectrum trading.
Andrew has a B.A. Honours Degree in Natural Sciences (Physics) from the University of Cambridge and an M.B.A. from Imperial College, London.
Examples of projects which illustrate the breadth of Andrew's experience include:
- Spectrum valuation and auction advice to a European mobile operator in a complex multi-band auction covering three GSM/UMTS/LTE spectrum bands
- Advice and planning for digital switchover and the release of digital dividend spectrum for the TRA in the United Arab Emirates
- Development of a model to assess the benefits of alternative forms of network sharing for two mobile operators in Africa (in addition to similar projects in Europe, South East Asia and the Middle East)
- Development of a spectrum policy strategy as part of the response to a wide ranging regulator consultation for a mobile operator in the Middle East
- Valuation model for a 3G licence in India for a multinational operator with an existing 2G licence
- Valuation model for damages and acting as an expert witness for the claimant in an international arbitration case. The damages model was accepted as the basis of an award by the tribunal of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes
- Numerous projects on the development of cost models for interconnection based on LRIC methodology
- Numerous due diligence projects and valuation projects in support of financial transactions, including buy side and sell side, for transactions up to several billion dollars in value