Makram has gained experience across a wide range of topics in the telecoms industry. In particular, he has managed the development of detailed valuation models to prepare mobile operators for (multi-band) spectrum auctions. Makram has also worked on market transactions, including work on a vendor-side commercial and technical due diligence ahead of a potential tower sale.
Makram has a background in telecommunications and financial modelling, as well as a strong understanding of the mobile business. In addition to his work supporting clients to prepare for spectrum auctions (regulatory support, spectrum valuation, spectrum strategy), he has also supported clients by preparing a due diligence report ahead of a tower sale transaction. Furthermore, Makram has developed a model on spectrum leasing and associated supply and demand analysis in the USA to inform his client’s spectrum investment strategy.
Makram has a Master of Science (M.Sc.) in International Finance from HEC Paris, as well as a Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.) from the American University of Beirut.
Examples of projects which illustrate the breadth of Makram's experience include:
- Analysis of the potential opportunities and threat arising from 5G on the enterprise Wi-Fi space for a North American software and hardware vendor
- Support for a Western European operator in preparing for a tower sale by undertaking a vendor-side commercial and technical due diligence exercise ahead of the transaction
- Development of a model on spectrum leasing and associated supply and demand analysis to inform a North American client’s spectrum investment strategy
- Support for a Middle Eastern operator in preparing for a major 5G spectrum auction (2.3GHz, 2.6GHz and 3.5GHz), including regulatory lobbying and spectrum valuation
- Development of a spectrum strategy report and a spectrum valuation model for a Western European operator in preparation for a major 5G spectrum auction (700MHz FDD, 700MHz SDL, 1400MHz, 2.6GHz, 3.4-3.8GHz)
- Support for a South-Asian operator in preparing a spectrum valuation model for 900MHz and 1800MHz spectrum ahead of a major auction
- Valuation of 700MHz spectrum for a South-Asian operator in preparation for a beauty contest
- Development of a network evaluation and a spectrum valuation report for an East-Asian operator in preparation for a major spectrum auction, including 2×15MHz of 1800MHz spectrum and a full re-auction of the 2100MHz band
- Support for a Western European operator in preparing for a major 4G/5G spectrum auction (700MHz, 900MHz, 1400MHz, 1800MHz, 2100MHz, 2.6GHz, 3.4-3.8GHz), including regulatory lobbying, network strategy and spectrum valuation
- Regulatory lobbying, spectrum valuation and on-site support for a Middle Eastern operator ahead of a major spectrum auction (700MHz and 1800MHz)